Get Paid To Work For Social Justice!
The Syracuse Peace Council is hiring for a part-time Staff Organizer to join our Staff Collective.
Staff Organisers are the keystones of our organization, relating to various program and administrative committees, members and supporters, and the general public. Overseen by the SPC Steering Committee, they carry out varied responsibilities, both issue organising and administrative. Specific duties are negotiable, but will likely include a significant organizing role in our efforts to mobilise resistance and build alternatives to the Trump agenda, as well as some fundraising, event organizing and generating content for our website and newsletter.
Visit www.peacecouncil.net for a description of SPC programs and to read our Statement of Purpose.
- Support the SPC Statement of Purpose
- Experience with social justice issue campaigns
- Strong communication and people skills
- Highly organized and able to work independently
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets)
- Ability to work in an under-resourced environment
- Familiarity with consensus decision-making and working within a non-hierarchical workplace
- Ability to work some evenings/weekends.
- Creative, flexible, a good sense of humor
- Graphic design or web design skills a plus
Hours and Compensation:
- 25 hours/week
- $15 per hour w/ paid leave.
- Anticipated start is in March.
How To Apply:
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 15:
- cover letter
- two references
- resume (inlcude relevant skills, work and/or community experience)
- completed application
Staff hours can be worked within a flexible schedule. Staff are expected to coordinate with each other so that the office is adequately and fairly staffed during business hours (you might expect to spend 70% of staff time in the office and 30% of your time at meetings, programs and events).
Each staff member is expected to participate in all scheduled staff meetings, sharing in agenda setting, facilitation, record keeping, and consensus building. Staff members are also expected to participate in Steering Committee, attending at least half of the SC meetings, with at least one staff person attending each SC meeting.
Each staff member is expected to contribute to SPC’s annual fundraising. A reasonable expectation is that each staff member will serve on a committee for one fundraiser and will assist with at least one fund appeal. In addition, each staff person is expected to attend and assist with the Plowshares Crafts Fair and Peace Festival held the first weekend of December each year.