David Van Arsdale is an Associate Professor of Sociology at Onondaga Community College. He can be contacted at email@example.com.
Editor’s Note: We always love to find out who’s reading the PNL and what they think. In response to Carl Mellor’s article on Jazz in the May 2011 issue, we received the following.
The CNY Jazz Arts Foundation (CNY Jazz) enriches our community by sustaining and presenting the art form of American Jazz. It would be great for you to spotlight CNY Jazz—we’re in our 15th year, organizing year-round events (www.cnyjazz.org).
Some programming highlights:
• Northeast Jazz & Wine Festival (formerly Jazz in the Square), July 29-31, 2011
• Pomco Presents Jazz in the City—a series of late summer mini-festivals in four Syracuse near-neighborhoods
• SummerJazz Workshop, Scholastic Jazz Jam, & Vocal Jazz Jam—educational programs that bring local jazz students together with professional musicians for clinics and performances
• CNY Jazz Orchestra—the performance wing of CNY Jazz, led by SUNY-Potsdam’s Brett Zvacek
• Jazz Central—our HQ at 441 E. Washington St. is a small theater that presents music, comedy and theater throughout the year.
Martin Walls, Communications Director, CNY Jazz