Marker List

Title Complete text Erected Location
Headwaters of The Tioughnioga River Site of a large Indian Village. A favorite stopping place of early pioneers. on Clinton Ave. in Cortland

Campfire Site

Here David Moss and James Lockwood made first campfire April 1792 and made friends with the Indians

on

Town Rd.
near Cuyler

Early Settler

Thomas Gould Alvord, Sr. Built his cabin here in 1794 on land granted for services in Revolutionary War

at intersection NYS 41 & 41A

Site of IndianVillage

Techiroguen: visited by LeMoyne 1654: and by La Salle 1673

1932

on US 11 at Brewerton @

Bennett St.
, just before BrewertonBridge

Hiawatha Lodge

Named by J. Griffin - who was adopted by Onondaga Indians and named Hiawatha II. Built by M. Waterhouse in 1830's. / Present Owner - George Bump / Clay Bicentennial Comm. 1976

1976

Between Clay and Liverpool on

Henry Clay Boulevard

On-On-Da-Ga

Site of Indian Village and Stockade Enclosing about Ten Acres, With Forty Additional Acres Adjoining Under Cultivation, Located Just East of this Place Burned by the Indians at the Time of Frontenac's Invasion Aug. 3, 1696 Site of Father Lamberville's Mass

1933

on NYS 91 about 1 mile S of Jamesville. East side, 1.1 mile S of NYS 20N&173

The Iroquois Confederacy

The northeast shore of Onondaga Lake has traditionally been recognized as the site of the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy in the late 16th century. Hiawatha, revered by the Iroquois as "the Peacemaker," was responsible for brining together the Five Nations in a political and military league. The Confederation allowed the Iroquois to develop the most sophisticated political system in North America by the time European colonization began. The military power of the Iroquois expanded as well. At its peak in the late 17th century, the Confederacy was able to assert itself over native peoples from New England to the Mississippi and from the St. Lawrence Valley to Virginia. The Iroquois remained a significant power in North America until their defeat in the American Revolution. The strength of the Confederacy forged by Hiawatha is still evident. Despite military defeat and the loss of their lands, the Iroquois nations continue to hold council in Onondaga County as they have for nearly 400 years.

unsure

on the

Onondaga Parkway
walking trail, 1 mile from the start at the SaltMuseum.

First Settler

The home of the first white settler in the township of Lysander, Jonathan Palmer, Revolutionary Soldier, was built on this site, 1793.

on

Co. Rd.
at Jacksonville

Log Cabin Site

Jonas C. Baldwin, Founder of Baldwinsville, built the first log cabin on the north side of the river near this spot in 1807.

none

Site Of

Halfway Tavern 1814-34: Stopping place for stage and for Oudiaga, Indian Runner, first mail carrier between Syracuse and Oswego

1938

1.3 mile N of Kellogg Rd., 1 mile S of Lawson Rd

Cherry Valley Turnpike

Terminated here: Completed about 1809, joining the Seneca Turnpike here

on

Academy St.
at Manlius

Deep Spring

Te-Ungh-sat-ayagh 450 ft. north of Iroquois Trail. First road made 1790 by General James Wadworth. CountyLine and Survey Mark.

1932

on NYS 173 at the Madision & OnondagaCounty Line

Nedrow c. 1798

Known as OnondagaCastle until 1897. Renamed Rockwell Springs for the Sulphur Spring & Picnic Area. Nedrow P.O. est'd 1917. Town of Onondaga. 1997.

1997

Nedrow, corner next to Fire Department

Indian Hill

was the home of the Onondaga Indians. Large population lived here in 1655.

1939

on

Indian Hill Rd
. .6 mile W of Pompey Center Rd.

Indian Hill

In a bark chapel on this spot The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was first offered in New YorkState by Rev. Joseph . Chaumonot Sunday 14, November 1655 Going Therefore TeachYe all Nations Baptising Them in the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost Teaching them to Observe all things whatsoever have commanded you St. Matthew XXVII 19-20 Erected by the Order of the LAlhambra Anno Domini- MCMSVII

1907

at Indian Hill

Indian War Stone

Grindstone of the Onondaga Indians. Used to sharpen arrows and spears at Indian Hill until 1666. Moved to LemoynePark Pompey, 1905.

1939

S side of Academy St., .15mile E of NYS 91, 150 feet E of church

Oran

Settled in 1793 by the Barnes Brothers, Asa, Rosewell, and Phineas. Came here with their families from Massachusetts.

on NYS 92 & NYS 20N at Oran

Roman Catholic

Mission Church first in Pompey was located here, 1857-1866. Father James Cahill, first priest

on

Town Rd.
at Pompey

Jesuit Well

Thought to have been used by the Jesuit Missionaries of whom Father LeMoyne was the first visitor in 1654. Called Bitter Spring by the Onondaga

1930

on NYS 57N of Syracuse in OnondagaLakePark. East side 1.3 miles N

Onondaga Salt Spring

In 1654, Father Simon LeMoyne arrived in the village of the Onondaga where he spent --- days among the Indians. Before returning to Quebec, he stopped along the southern shore of LakeGanatatahn - now Onondaga - to choose a site for a French mission. Here he tasted water from a spring which the Onondagas believed be fouled by an evil spirit. Finding it to be a salt water spring. LeMoyne made some salt, A sample of which he carried back to Quebec. Commercial salt production on the lakeshore Began in 1793. Many years later, the Erie Canal was known as "The Ditch Salt Built". Salt being A major commodity transported on the canal. The last salt produced in this area was in 1926. Nearby Syracuse is nicknamed "The Salt City".

2003

on Onondaga Lake Parkway , just before the Railroad bridge when coming from Carousel Mall.

Here Bishop Frederic Cammerhoff

And David Zeisberger, Moravian Missionaries, Built the Pilgrims Hut At St. John's each on St. John Baptist's Day 1750 Shelter on this Site 1750 Here Also Col. Gansevoort's Hundred Men Bearing the American Flag Rested September 22, 1779 On Their Eastward March From Sullivan's Army.
Erected 1915 By the Onondaga Historical Society Location: on St. James' Church

1915

on St. James Church

Col. Van Schaick

Crossed Onondaga Creek Here on Way to Indian Villages to the South, April 21, 1779

1930

Colvin St.
at Onondaga Creek

Handsome Lake

Ga-Nyah-Di-Yoh Author of present Indian religion born at Ca-Noh-Wa-Gus Genesee Co., N.Y. 1735 Died Aug. 10, 1815 at Onondaga Reservation

not sure

opposite the Council House on the reservation

Kana-Ta-Go-Wah

(Big Village near the Council House) Large Iroquois-Onondaga village located on east bank of Onondaga Creek and extending to this site-Onondaga Indians began to settle here after the burning of Onondaga village in Fronteac's Invasion of 1696 From 1720 known as LowerOnondagaVillage and the Seat of the Iroquois Confederacy Connasatego (Black Prince), Caghs-Wuti-Chiand ts-Chini-Chiata Lived Here. Visited by Moravian Missionaries in 1745

1933

on US 11 (

South Salina St.
), East side opposite #5900, about 35 feet S of
point of Dorwin Ave.

Ka-Ne-En-Da

The only pre-colonial Iroquois village site on OnondagaLake, Located on lake front north of this place- Iroquois pottery with human Faces. 1570-1620, found here, but not elsewhere around

Onondaga Lake- Landing Place
for Canoes- First Barbeque held in what is now OnondagaCountyJune 29, 1756 by Sir William Johnson Webster's Trading Post 1786 Newkirk the Trader Died Here

1933

Hiawatha Blvd. N
side, .7 mile NE of NYS 48 (
State Fair Blvd.
), .4 mile SW of N. Salina St.

Onondaga Indians

In 1793, out of a total population of 33 inhabitants in the village of Salina, 30 persons were sick. The remaining three inhabitants, with the help of friendly Onondaga Indians, took care of the sick for two months. In the Following year the population had grown to 63 persons, of whom 23 died that year.

1935

intersection of

Erie Blvd. E
and
Oswego Blvd.

Site of

Indian Attack on Col. Van Schaick's Expedition against the Onondagas April 21, 1779

1930

at OnondagaPark

Sullivan and Clinton

Observance of the Revolutionary War Campaign Against Indians [Map shows the route the Sullivan and Clinton campaign took through New YorkState and where specific incidents happened.]

1929

2307 Valley Drive

The Iroquois Trail

Crossed here for several centuries the

Great Indian Highway east
and west, used by the Dutch in 1634, by the Jesuit Missionaries, by Sir William Johnson and by Asa Danforth the Onondaga Pioneer, carrying on his back the saw for the first sawmill in Central New York

1938

US Rte 11 (

South Salina Street
), 50 feet N of hydrant in front of #5571. East side.

Where the Indian Trail

Crossed the creek (34 rods west) on May 24, 1788 landing a crude boat Major Asa Danforth and his noble wife Hannah Wheeler Danforth builded the first Christian home in this county.

1915

South Salina St.
directly across from HeathPark.

Near This Spot

Samuel de Champlain on October 8, 1615 Crossed the River and Discovered Oneida Lake

1932

US Rte 11 at Brewerton

Treasure Island

French Colonists camped on island in escaping from Onondaga Indians in 1658. Said to have lightened their war chests and deposited cannon and gold here.

1932

N 43 13.194 W 076 17.523

Kuh-Na-Ta-Ha

Indian Fishing Village 1654 Known to the Indians as "Place of Tall Pines" Discovered by Father Le Moyne

1932

NY Rte 57 at Phoenix



Markers

This map shows the locations of some of the historical markers in the Central New York area. Click on markers for photos and more information. To view the map in a standalone window, click here.

We will be putting up more information as we complete our ongoing research.


View Verified NOON Map in a larger map